Traditional Foods in Portugal:
- Bacalhau com todos literally means codfish with everything. It consists of boiled cod, boiled vegetables, and hard-boiled egg.
- Linguiça is a traditional Portuguese sausage seasoned with paprika and garlic. The paprika give it a spicy flavor.
- Caldo Verde is an extremely popular soup in Portugal. It has potatoes, collard greens, olive oil, salt, onion, and garlic. Sometimes meat is added.
- Feijoada is a stew of pork, beef, and black beans. It is often served with rice.
- A very traditional style of Portuguese music is called Fado. It commonly involves the viola.
- In Portugal, they celebrate Portugal Day on June 10th. The 10th marks the day that the famous Portuguese poet Luís de Camões died.
- Most people in Portugal where western-style clothing, but outside the cities you might find people wearing traditional clothes. The men might be wearing loose fitting shirts and the women black shawls.
- A Portuguese superstition is that if you open your umbrella in a building, you will have bad luck.